5/07/2008

Hot topic: Sharapova vs WTA Tour

Without any doubt, the controversial statements of Maria Sharapova against the WTA Tour has been the hottest topic of the last few weeks. It all started when Maria withdrew from the Tier I being held in Berlin this week. Players must give an injury reason to wothdraw from a tournament they have been scheduled by the WTA, but this time Maria was sincere and confessed she was healthy, so she will be probably fined. Here is the statement on her website:
"As many of you know, the WTA tour makes many players enter tournaments that they know the players will not be playing. I informed the WTA several months ago that if I played Charleston, I would have to pull out of Berlin. Now they are forcing me to give an injury for the reason why I am pulling out or they will give me an additional fine on top of the 125,000 fine already given to me. I am a very giving person, but I refuse to give anymore of my money to the WTA tour.So I want everyone to know that besides getting sick the past few days, I am healthy and I am looking forward to playing Rome. The good news is that the new road map for next year should solve all these problems."

And this week Maria has charged against the WTA Tour again. The reason is a photoshoot that the WTA has scheduled during the tournament of Rome for its new marketing campaign which may last for 4 hours. According to the WTA rules, the players must collaborate in different marketing and social activities during the tournaments, otherwise they may be fined. Thus Maria and the rest of the players have taken part throughout the years in a lot of events and activities. But Maria's patience is over. She has said that she doesn't like to be involved in photoshoots the day before or during a tournament, as she may get tired and lose her concentration. And she has asked her fans through a poll on her website what should she do, go to the photoshoot or skip it and be fined. Furthermore Maria has critised the attitude of WTA Tour executives who "don't ever listen to players and walk around like they are the stars" and has warned to start talking about the what is really behind the scenes at life on Tour.

So who do you support, Maria or the WTA Tour?

No comments: